Saturday 22 September 2012

SUMMER: HAS IT GONE?

I'm reviewing my summer. The high points, the surprises, the disappointments. I had visitors from Devon in June. It was their first time in Rural Perthshire. It was fortunate that they came by car and had the foresight to pack three emergency suitcases of winter clothing. This was mid-June, and the temperature peaked at around 8 degrees celsius. How we laughed. They couldn't wait to hit the road south, and I reckon that's the last time I'll see them this side of hell freezing over. Then there was my garden party in July. The rain held off, and my pots of flowers looked gorgeous. Of the 63 people invited, however, 19 made it (if you include the dodgy new neighbours). If I'd suspected I was Billy-No-Mates before, it hit me that day like a hard slap with a wet fish.
So those were the high points. The surprises? Finding £2.70 down the side of the sofa; realising that I can yodel; painting garden furniture is addictive. (I've done benches for several neighbours. None of these people gave a word of thanks.)
 
                                                                      A blue bench                         

And the disappointments. You'll have read about some. Incidents with the caber, the caravan, the cake. Others are in the hands of my legal team, and I can't talk about them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment