Thursday 13 September 2012

MAKE LIKE RAY MEARS

An autumnal chill has descended on Rural Perthshire. It's a seasonal thing. Local conversations have  shifted from the amazing, spectacular, unbelievable Olympic Games to the most comfortable thermal underwear and the optimum grip for a snow shovel. I'm fully prepared for a repeat of the 2010 winter. Two weeks it took me to tunnel out from the front door to shout for help. The memories are still vivid. I'd lived on boiled rice and cardboard for the last few days. Phone lines were down, heating was off, water froze. I learned more about survival skills in those fourteen days than you would believe. I put a small tent up in the living room, whittled myself a canoe paddle from an old book-case and felt just like Ray Mears. Much self-reflection too, as you can imagine. I came out of the whole harrowing experience a more egotistical, angry and suspicious person. But, I have a snow shovel. I have survival skills. I have no book-case.

                                          I'm inside the car

No comments:

Post a Comment