Wednesday 28 November 2012

I STILL MISS WOOLWORTHS

Christmas shopping was so easy when there was Woolworths. I could do a trolley dash in forty-five minutes and get all the presents, gift wrap and six inch nails I needed for £19.95. The deals on chocolate selections in Woolworths were legendary. Buy two boxes of Maltesers, get one free. Buy a giant size Toblerone and get sixteen mini ones to give out to passing children. Shell out for two tins of Quality Street and the Manager would leap out of the stock room and throw Pick 'n' Mix randomly around the store.
I met some neighbours in Woolworths one time (somewhere in urban Cheshire) who had a novel approach to Christmas shopping. The trolley was loaded with children's games and toys, but there were no children on their present list. Eddy said: "Uncle Brian's getting this chemistry set. Let' see if he really did get that degree." This year, I'll be buying useful gifts for all my friends. Argos: The Book of Dreams. That's all I'm saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment