Wednesday 2 January 2013

PASSING BY TRAFFORD CENTRE

You should have heard me on Boxing Day (on passing that monstrocity of retail madness that is the Trafford Centre) ranting on about  "the immorality of those feckless, avaricious airheads" who, THE DAY AFTER THE MOST INTENSIVE STUFF-ACQUIRING ORGY OF THE YEAR, decide that the thing they most need to do on Boxing Day is to go out and BUY MORE STUFF. I was enraged. But here I am again.....lurching in an unsettling personality-disordered way. Confusion/clarity/irrational behaviour. Two days into the New Year and I am totally without direction. I've been pratting about in Rural Perthshire doing a spot of sales shopping. I know. Not Boxing Day, but pretty damn soon after the acquisition of much (useless) stuff. I was restrained. I picked stuff up, I put it down. I picked stuff up again, I stepped away from another retail opportunity. I'm telling you, I was having an almighty struggle with my conscience every time I handed over my credit card. I threw those bags (there were several) into the back of the car and got the hell away from the pretty sparkly things. I sat down with a cup of tea and a jaffa cake, and tried to reflect. "Think on," I said to myself. "Are you feckless? Are you avaricious?" Going to bed tonight with a heavy heart and a bad case of gut-ache. Remind me to get more jaffa cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment